Apple, Pork & Sage Meatloaf
Meatloaf has fallen out of fashion recently and, in our opinion, it’s high time it enjoyed a revival!
This once staple of the mid week supper repertoire, is not only versatile, filling and delicious, it also won’t break the bank to create.
To champion its return to your tables, we’ve created a meatloaf with a distinctly Autumnal vibe, using our very own Mr. Pepper’s pork sausage meat (hand made in house by our talented Butchery Team) combined with seasonal Kentish apples, sage and topped with a crunchy, Kentish cobnut crust.
On the side, we’ve gone for some beautiful, creamy, sweet potato mash with a generous amount of grated Ashmore cheddar, sautéed greens and lashings of gravy.
- 600g Mr. Pepper's sausage meat or, pork mince
- 3 Kentish apples, cored
- 1 leek
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 free range egg
- 1 banana shallot
- 120g breadcrumbs
- 3 x sage leaves
- 2 tbsps brown sugar
- 2 tbsps Dijon mustard
- 75ml tomato sauce
- 500g Kentish cobnuts
- Preheat oven to gas mark 5 / 200-degree or 180-degrees fan
- Grease a loaf tin - approx 9” by 5” is best but you can use anything loaf like and adjust cooking time relative to size / shape.
- Peel and crack your cobnuts - it’s a bit of a chore but get a production line going and it can be quite fun!
- Blitz cobnuts with an extra leaf or two of sage until they are finely crumbed and add seasoning.
- In a food processor, chop up your apples, celery, leek, shallot and sage.
- Transfer to bowl and add pork, egg, breadcrumbs and seasoning, and pull together with hands until combined.
- Press down into loaf tin until tightly packed.
- Mix ketchup, mustard and sugar in a bowl before spreading over the top of the meatloaf evenly.
- Cover meatloaf with cobnut crumbs (you might not need all of them so stash any leftovers for other meals).
- Bake in oven for an hour until the top is nice & crispy.
- Serve with your choice of sides and lashings of gravy, if you fancy!