Marinated Tomato Pasta with Crunchy Garlic Breadcrumbs
Written by: Rachel Phipps
1. First, marinate the tomatoes. Roughly chop them into small pieces and combine in a bowl with the garlic cloves, peeled and bashed whilst still keeping them whole, the basil, olive oil, fennel seeds and a generous pinch of sea salt. Press everything down in the bowl so the tomatoes are sitting in the mix of olive oil and their own juices, and set aside for 2 hours at room temperature.
2. To make the crunchy garlic breadcrumbs, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan set over a medium high heat. In a food processor, blitz the stale bread into crumbs and stir them into the pan along with the garlic powder and another generous pinch of salt. Gently fry until golden, and remove from the heat - this should take about 5 minutes.
3. Cook the pasta in a pan of boiling salted water as per the packets instructions - start checking for doneness around the 15 minute mark. Drain well, and divide between two bowls.4. Discard the bashed garlic cloves from the marinated tomatoes, and spoon the tomato mix over each bowl of pasta, taking care not too add too much of the marinating liquid at the bottom - you want a raw pasta sauce, not to flood the bowl!
5. Add a generous sprinkling of garlic breadcrumbs to each bowl and serve with the rest on the table for people to help themselves.
Available in store
- For the Marinated Tomato Pasta
- - 400g ripe tomatoes
- - 2 large garlic cloves
- - small handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
- - 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- - 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- - sea salt
- - 200g pasta shells
- For the Crunchy Garlic Breadcrumbs
- - 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- - 1 slice stale bread (roughly 60g)
- - 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- - sea salt