Our Winter update, courtesy of our Fruit & Veg team!
Local apples are in abundance in the winter months with varieties such as Braeburn, Fuji, Gala, Russet and Spartan all available. We also have the perfect pears in Comice and Conference. Let’s not forget the cookers though… Bramley apples and Quince are great for making Britain’s favourite winter desserts – crumbles & pies topped with custard.
The humble potato is one of the most versatile vegetables and at Macknade we have a wide variety, each suiting a different type of cooking.
- Desiree – A great all rounder & we think the most flavoursome
- King Edwards – Best for baking and roasting
- Maris Piper – The perfect potato for making chips
- Marfona – Best for boiling and baking
- Pink Fir Apple – Similar to a new potato and great in salads
Sweet potatoes are also at their best at this time of year, but if you’re looking for an alternative starchy veg, you could always try Jerusalem artichokes or salsify, which are both in season.
Our Deli also has several seasonal cheeses, which are available in the winter months. A classic is Vacherin Mont D’or and the milk comes from cows that have spent the whole summer grazing in the mountains. Make sure to check it out… We have both cutting Vacherin and small wheels for baking!