Spring Asparagus Soup
A delightful soup, perfect for using up any leftover asparagus stalks. Serve with any of the excellent breads from the bakery – we enjoyed ours with a seeded sourdough loaf from Wild Bread with lashings of Kentish Cowslip Butter.
Less than 45 minutes to prepare
Serves 2Print Recipe
- 2 bunches of leftover asparagus stalks
- 1 potato, chopped
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 parmesan rind
- 1/2 lemon - juice and zest
- Handful of dill, roughly chopped
- 1 stock cube (chicken or veg)
- Hot water to cover
- Crème fraiche to serve
- Cook shallot and leek over a medium heat in a little oil or butter until soft and golden.
- Add potato and asparagus and stir to coat thoroughly, cooking for a couple of minutes to soften.
- Add parmesan rind and cover with boiling water from the kettle and add stock cube.
- Simmer until all vegetables are soft - about 18 minutes.
- Remove parmesan rind (this is quite nice to nibble on too!)
- Allow to cool and blend until smooth. if particularly coarse, you could also sieve the soup, though the texture is quite nice and the fibre is good for you.
- Stir lemon zest, juice and dill throughout and bring the temperature back up to serve.
- Taste and add salt if necessary and spoon crème fraiche and a little more dill on top.
- Add a good grind of black pepper and extra parmesan shavings.