Roast Leg of Hogget & Cipolle Onion Champ
An alternative Easter dish, showcasing our local Kentish hogget – perfect for all the family!
45 minutes to prepare
Serves 8Print Recipe
- 3kg Leg of Kentish Hogget
- 40ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Bulbs
- 4 Banana Shallots
- 30g Plain Flour
- 500ml Chicken Stock
- A few sprigs of Rosemary
- Maldon Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1.5kg Potatoes
- 1 bunch Cipolle (Tropea) Onions
- 150g Butter
- Remove the hogget from the fridge one hour before cooking and allow it to come up to room temperature.
- Prepare a roasting tin by halving the shallots lengthways and placing in the tin along with the whole bulbs of garlic to create a trivet.
- Place the hogget on top, rub with 20ml of olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Tuck the rosemary sprigs in to the strings and add 1 litre of cold water to the bottom of the tin.
- Cook the hogget uncovered for approximately 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours.
- Remove the hogget and shallots from the roasting tin, cover lightly with foil and rest for 45mins.
- To make the gravy, add the flour to the roasting tin and mix well, scraping up all the tasty bits.
- Place on a low heat on the cooker top and slowly whisk until thickened.
- For the champ, peel the potatoes, add to salted water and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Cipolle onions by removing the outer skin and discarding 2-3 cm off the end. Wash well in cold running water.
- Cut the onions so the bulb ends are the same length, about 10-12cm, (keeping the remaining green parts for the mash.) Lay on a baking tray, drizzle with 20ml of the olive oil and season well.
- Roast in the oven for 10–15 minutes, adding the shallots from the roasting tin for the last 5 minutes to reheat.
- Slice the remaining onions thinly, add to a small saucepan with the butter and sauté gently until softened.
- Drain & mash the cooked potatoes and mix in the sliced onions & butter. Season the mash well with salt and pepper.
- Carve the hogget and serve family style with the mash, plus crab apple jelly and glazed heritage carrots.